IT’S NEARLY CHRISTMAS!! And I am so excited! I Love Christmas so much, because I get to spend a whole day with my loved ones, and (normally) drink 10 bottles of Prosexy…alas this year, I will not be doing the Prosexy drinking so instead I’ll be eating my own body weight in food 🙂 And probably laughing at my sister, my husband and my sister’s boyfriend for being drunk.
I will also be enjoying having both Kenny and Gloria at home, and taking some time to remember my dad. Christmas is often a time when we reflect on the year that has passed, and all our loved ones that are not with us. It also often sadly seems to be a time when illness hit’s lots of people. And I do believe that is because for many, the entire year is a relentless dash from one thing to the next, and often a struggle, so that when Christmas arrives we breathe a big sigh of relief, relax our internal and external defences and leave ourselves vulnerable. It is so sad to lose people at any time of year, but for some reason Christmas seems particularly unfair. It is another fierce reminder that life really is for living……so make an agreement with yourself to grab it in both hands next year, and make some great choices for your happiness and health every day.
One thing that contributes to a healthy life, are TREATS!! I love cookies and coconuts, so combined the two in this healthful sweet snack!
Behold, the Raw Minty Oreo Bite!
Before I get to the nitty-gritty of the recipe, I want to pause and Give Thanks to the Coconut. It really is a SUPERHERO FOOD! All parts of the coconut are fantastic, in particular, the coconut oil, which is a saturated fat, BUT with a difference! It contains two “secret” ingredients: lauric acid and capric acid, which are naturally occurring saturated fats that make it behave differently to artificially manipulated, artery clogging saturated fats.
In fact, coconut oil contains the most lauric acid of any food in the world, and a high concentration of captic acid. Both are anti-viral, anti-fungal and result in some amazing health benefits:
- Promoting your heart health
- Promoting weight loss, when needed
- Supporting your immune system health
- Supporting a healthy metabolism
- Providing you with an immediate energy source: coconut oil behaves like a carbohydrate, in that it can be used quickly by the body for energy, BUT without causing the spike in blood sugar! HOW AMAZING IS THAT
- Keeping your skin healthy and youthful looking (I use it in the amazing Face Föda “Everything Balm“)
- Supporting the proper functioning of your thyroid gland
- It’s also great for lactating mums as it increases our levels of good cholesterol to pass onto the baby, resulting in helping to protect the baby from infections and toxins
Now that we have paused to reflect on the coconut, here is the Recipe.
For the base:
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp ground hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2-3 drops peppermint essential oil
- Pinch Himalayan salt
For the cream top:
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Xylitol (which contains zero fructose!)
- Combine all of the base ingredients in a bowl and then press together to make the base, 1-2 cm thick. I used a Tupperware lined with baking paper.
- Pop in the freezer for 20-30 mins until solid.
- In the meantime, take the can of coconut milk and drain away all the liquid. I saved mine in a jar to be used in smoothies!
- With the remaining cream, add the xylitol and mix.
- when the base is ready simply press the cream coconut onto the base, 1-2 cm think and pop back in the freezer!
Jobs a good’un!
I keep mine in the freezer and pop them into my mouth at will as I wander past 🙂
lots of love Katie xxx