Today’s Spotlight Ingredient is CUCUMBER! I ADORE CUCUMBERS but have recently learnt they are not adored by everyone – WHY?!?! Oh well, all the more juicy cucumber for MOI. and you , hopefully.
Why Are Cucumbers so Great?
- they are mainly water so are low in calories and also keep you well hydrated
- High in Vitamin C, which has many important functions such as aiding in collagen production and brain function, and it also helps your body process fat.
- High in Vitamin K, an essential nutrient necessary for responding to injuries. It may also be helpful for bone health: it may reduce bone loss, and decrease risk of bone fractures. Approximately half of the cucumber’s vitamin K content is found in its peel, so keep the peel on for maximal health benefits.
- Rich in Potassium: Adequate potassium is also necessary for maintaining normal electrical activity of the heart, and a diet rich in potassium protects you from high blood pressure.
- Great for the skin! Cucumbers have a cooling and soothing effect that decreases swelling, irritation and inflammation when used topically. Cucumber slices can be placed on the eyes and can decrease morning puffiness or alleviate and treat sunburn when placed on the affected areas.
I whizzed up today’s soup in my nutribullet and then added some extra goodies to get me through my morning at work, and provide a little natural sweetness!
- half a cucumber
- 2 sticks of celery
- 20 mint leaves
- a small bunch of parsley
- I then added:
- 1 chopped banana
- a sprinkle of raw cacao nibs
- 1 tsp almond butter
- handful of pumpkin seeds
- tsp of bee pollen
I hope you enjoy! whether you add the extras or not, this is a great way to stay hydrated and nourished with some natural, wholefoods.
Lots if love Katie xx