Now, you may be beginning to realise that I LOVE unusual, strong flavours. I’m not sure why, it could be because I am a pretty inoffensive person, maybe that’s why I am drawn to some pretty offensive flavours! The ones that some people LOVE and some people HATE. I sit firmly in the Love camp for things like Marmite, Turmeric, Ginger, Miso, and today’s Star Ingredient, Cinnamon.
As a child, I adored Cinnamon Graham’s, and on Bikram Yoga Teacher Training I used to buy a whole tray of mini Cinnamon Rolls every Saturday from Trader Joe’s and EAT ALL OF THEM TO MYSELF. I also used to regularly pretend I was a Unicorn (yep)
I still do this, AND I still LOVE Cinnamon. I use it every day and have a jar of the organic spice in the cupboard at home to add to smoothies, raw chocolate, and at work to add to my morning Dandelion Coffee. I love the taste, and the health benefits too (which are nothing short of astonishing). Chinese medicine and Ayurveda (which I am learning lots about at the moment – GEEEKKKK) have long revered cinnamon as a superpower used to treat things such as colds, indigestion and cramps and also believed to improve energy, vitality and circulation. But wait, there’s more:
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower your bad cholesterol
- may help treat Type 2 Diabetes by lowering blood sugar levels and increasing the amount of insulin production in the body
- antifungal properties, and it’s been said that candida cannot live in a cinnamon environment
- anti-clotting effect on the blood
- Honey and Cinnamon combined have been found to relieve arthritis pain.
- natural food preservative.
- smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory (I have a bottle of Cinnamon essential oil for this purpose at home)
- natural remedy for headaches
- help stabilize blood sugar (which is great for weight loss)
Try adding half a teaspoon per day to hot drinks, breakfast oats, smoothies, AND, to this TOO SIMPLE AND QUICK FOR WORDS PROTEIN OMEGA 3 PACKED BREAKFAST!
Cinnamon Chia Pudding
- take a jar (any one will do)
- add 2 tablespoons of Chia seeds (Chia seeds I LOVE and am never without t hem in me cupboard – read all about why I love them, and my other cupboard essentials here)
- add 1 tsp of cinnamon
- add Coconut milk – or any plant milk you fancy. you will need enough to cover the layer of seeds by about 4 cm
- add a large spoon of raw honey or a few chopped dates
- add 2 of your Raw Blackcurrant Bites from the freezer
- Pop the jar in the fridge overnight and WAIT FOR THE MAGIC TO HAPPEN
In the morning when you open your jar an amazing sight will greet you. the seeds will have soaked up lots of the milk and delicious cinnamonness, and you will be left with what looks a bit like Rice Pudding – think dreamy, creamy, gooeiness, that is packed full of protein, omega 3, antioxidants and more!